Friday, July 15, 2011

Facing The Giants

My brother and his wife (my sister in law) are following my training advice and have raised a very valuable point. The story goes as follows: They went to the gym the other day and my brother being someone who is familiar with weight training absolutely enjoyed the programme. He was referring to his training journal to ensure that he was training correctly. My sister in law on the other hand found the session quite mundane and boring and she let me know this.

Now this is something that I myself had to overcome when researching and studying which methods bring the best results. I shared with her the benefits of this training and will share it with everyone else who may have experienced this. It is perfectly normal to feel apprehensive about something new. That's what makes this journey so great!

The reason why I advocate weight training instead of many of the other training routines that gyms offer is for the following reasons:
-Weight training provides sufficient resistance to force new muscle growth. Body weight exercises are great but up to a point. Once you get used to lifting your bodyweight in various positions and angles your body will reach homeostasis and stop growing unless you put on more weight to make yourself heavier;-)

-Cardio will cause you to lose weight but you will also lose valuable muscle as well. Your body will start to use muscle as fuel because it needs to tap into the quickest resource available to fuel the long sessions. So while you will lose weight, you will be losing muscle as well. (Think of the body of a long distance runner)

I know that the exercises might also be foreign to many of us but the exercises will and do work. And they will work for you. For any ladies out there who are concerned about building big bulky muscles please read the post that covers this topic.

Embrace the routine and have fun. And remember that wherever you are in the world, if you're following this blog, you're not alone:-)

No comments: